We end this edition of our e-commerce journey through the Baltic in the largest Baltic country in terms of population density, Lithuania.
- € 2.87 mill. inhabitants
- 77% Internet users
- € 1.41 mill. online shopper
- € 509 mill. e-commerce revenue
Internet usage among the Lithuanian population can be divided into four groups. Among the age groups 16-24, 25-34 and 35-44 years old, the Internet is already used by more than 90 %. Even in the so-called “best age” group (50+), regular or daily Internet usage is indicated. Of that, 47% of users repeatedly shop online. Lithuanians like to use online shops as a source of information to find details about desired products. Another 55% use price comparison sites before they decide for a shop and order. But there is still 35% that trust the recommendations of family and friends.
What do Lithuanians love about online shopping?
Way over 60% appreciate home delivery and the less expensive price structure compared to stationary retail. 75% love to shop at home because they don’t need to go searching for a retail store and aren’t tied to store opening hours.
Obstacles to online shopping
Even though Lithuanians are very open about online shopping, there are still plenty challenges for shop operators. 37% of the shoppers are often not satisfied with the quality of the product and return it. Also, a third of them think that shipping takes too long or is too expensive. However, about a third of Lithuanians are still positively inclined and convinced that online revenues will continue to rise over the next years.
To be successful on the Lithuanian online market, the following points are MUSTS:
- 51% of Lithuanians prefer to use mobile payments when paying online (e.g., with Mobiamo, a payment option via SMS), 37% use credit cards, and
- 10% pay with eWallets.
- The largest number (90%) shop online from their PC or laptop.
- Only 4% purchase on their smartphones or 3% on their tablets. However, the use of mobile end devices for online shopping is making headway, so retailers should make appropriate preparations and structure their online shop, including checkout, responsively.
- Toys, hobby items and DIY items are the most popular.